In this tutorial, you will learn to convert GIF to Lottie JSON.
You can use the Lottie library in Python to convert any GIF to Lottie JSON using Python.
I was on the lookout for something similar. Initially, I was looking for an automated method, and I got to know about this Python Library that does the conversion.
We will almost certainly need to create vector versions of the individual images in order to reduce the file size of the final product.
Using Lottie Library In Python
Because the Lottie format is designed for vector graphics, converting raster images to it is not always a successful endeavor.
While python-Lottie does support a few different algorithms for importing raster images, the process is a little slow for larger images, so use it with caution if you need to import a lot of images.
Install the extras tagged with the word “trace” in order to make use of the Potrace vectorization library.
Once everything is set up, all you have to do is run Lottie convert.py using the vectorization algorithm.
lottie_convert.py input_file.gif output_file.json --bmp-mode trace
For Pixel Art you should use the below code to convert GIF to JSON. Here we are using the Pizel algorithm for conversion.
lottie_convert.py input_file.gif output_file.json --bmp-mode pixel
Or you can simply use the default mode for conversion using the below commands.
lottie_convert.py input_file.gif output_file.json
Features Of Lottie Libray
The following is a list of features that are included in the Lottie Python framework:
- Currently loading both compressed and uncompressed Lottie JSON
- Manipulation of a wide variety of objects
- Default settings for elementary animations (eg: shake, linear bounce)
- Animated Bezier paths (eg: follow path, making paths appear and disappear)
- Wave distortion animation (eg: for flags)
- Pseudo-3D rotations
- The functions of easing in animation
- Kinematic solver with an inverse
- Printing that is both pretty and useful for comparing Lottie files
- Displaying text as geometric forms
I hope you were able to convert the GIF to Lottie JSON using the Python Lottie library. This library provides a tool to convert such GIFs, JPEGs, and PNG to JSON and vice versa.
Let me know in the comment section if you are facing any issues I will be happy to help you.